Saturday, December 8, 2012

Harlan Photos - Winter 2012


Before we cut - with Daddy
This year we decided to go to a tree farm to cut down our Christmas tree.  The kids were extremely excited about this! I must begrudgingly admit that this was better than visiting the people who came up from North Carolina to sell pre-cut trees out of a trailer.  Thanks to Martin Luther for Christmas trees.

"Legend has it that Martin Luther began the tradition of decorating trees to celebrate Christmas. One crisp Christmas Eve, about the year 1500, he was walking through snow-covered woods and was struck by the beauty of a group of small evergreens. Their branches, dusted with snow, shimmered in the moonlight. When he got home, he set up a little fir tree indoors so he could share this story with his children. He decorated it with candles, which he lighted in honor of Christ's birth."


Before we cut - with Mommy


Cutting with muscle men


I used to be better at this kind of stuff


Success - Mark and Ethan gladly appropriate the accomplishment to themselves
God gave us the most beautiful day to cut down our tree. Not only was it about 60 degrees, the sunset was one of the best we have seen for years. 


Dream  

I had a dream last night
So long lovely lingering
It left my mind teeming
The beams of sun I could climb
And of course I did
But from the moon I hid
For it was jealous of the sun
As on its beams I did play
For the better part of that day
I climbed to the highest
Cloud-mountain gleaming bright
It was of the purest white
The clouds were as nice
As the sun had been to me
I played in them joyfully
Ah! Now the sun and moon
Were to each other reconciled
Sunbeams went wild!
And moonbeams shimmered
As the sun left us cold
Until the moon made bold
Smooth and silent was the moon
As it slid into view
Dispersing clouds to dew
So climb I did on moonbeam sheen
Glowing all around
And thus I slid onto the ground
There the clouds lay dispersed
As dew on the grass
I lay my head on the mass
There the trees looked on me
And under diamond stars
Made a leaf song for Mars
So as I lay on the ground
Mars replied so low and long
It was a soothing heaven song
Turning slowly did the Earth
Listening to the song of Mars
And joined a chorus with the stars
Thus my mind was at peace
Throughout that dreamy night
Till I awoke in morning light




Coach Brent bestows the "toughest player on the team" award upon Mark


Dad's doppelganger

Isabella - beautiful one


No comments:

Post a Comment