Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election 2012

Thoughts from a member of the Constitution Party:

First of all, I voted for Mitt Romney today for one reason: his stance on abortion.  I'm a one-issue voter and I think everyone in this country should be.  I'm quite confused as to why everyone is not a one- issue voter on this issue and am flummoxed at anyone who would vote for a candidate, such as Barack Hussein Obama, who does not want to protect life and liberty for certain classes of people, namely infants.  Sadly, Mitt Romney had previously not been strong on this issue but has thankfully "changed his mind." If someone would like to explain why I'm off-base on this, please leave a comment.

Now that we've got that out of the way I wanted to share a couple thoughts.
I came across a very interesting story today that helped me put my concerns about the election in perspective.  One of the people who had to leave their house due to the flooding from Sandy came home to find some articles from their house missing and the following note:

"Who ever reads this I'm DIEING - I'm 28 yrs old my name is Mike. I had to break in to your house. I took blankets off the couch. I have hypothermia. I didn't take any thing. A wave thru me out of my house down the block. I don't think I'm going to make it. The water outside is 10ft deep at least. There's no resue. Tell my dad I love him and I tryed geting out. His ... name is Tony. I hope u can read this I'm in the dark. I took a black jacket too. Goodbye. God all mighty help me."

Here is a picture of the note:

Note from Mike in New Jersey
This is a very interesting note.  Written by a shivering cold man in the dark who is dealing with his certain death and penning his last words to explain to the homeowner the missing items, to make sure his dad knew what happened, and to give some details around the reasons and circumstances of his demise.  He is so startled at the fact that he is dying that he capitalizes this word and gets caught between writing the word "die" and "dying."

Why was this note helpful for me?  A couple reasons.  Mike's problems really put mine in perspective.  No matter who wins the election, I'm still not facing death.  Although, unborn infants will be facing death if President Obama wins, they'll still be facing death if he loses.  Their fate is in God's hands. Just like Mike's.

Another thing is that Mike ends his note with a polite goodbye and a prayer that God will help him.  That's helpful to me.  Christians need to be polite to their opponents and pray. 

Mike did something else commendable.  He was polite and loving to his neighbor and father by leaving this note of explanation, but he also kept pressing forward.  He left the house and went swimming again. I don't know how he did it.  He thought he had hypothermia already and was pretty sure he was going to die.  But there he went! He swam right out of the house and was picked up by someone cruising around in a boat.  This is a great story and is such a good reminder that we need to trust in God: He is in control. 

Another small encouragement were the comments from some of my older co-workers explaining to me that whoever wins, there really won't likely be much change from them.  The houses of congress are split and the people of America are not really making the right decisions.  The politicians we have are not looking out for our best interests and we really haven't trained them to.  Yes this seems bleak, but it helps me think through what might be a very disappointing result for this member of the Constitution Party.

Depressing was the comment from one voter who called in to a television show covering the election saying, "another reason that I voted for Romney is that he is a strong Christian."  Just to be clear, Romney is a Mormon.  Mormons are not Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment